Thursday, November 10, 2011

I Can't, You Can, You Promised

We are several decades into the "believe it, achieve it" delusion in the business world.  Several decades before that I was raised on a little engine that could, by personal willpower alone.  "I think I can, I think I can..." It was enough for him and therefore, he did.

The problem, other than the obvious problem of relying on good feelings alone to get through the day, is the loneliness of self-reliance.  We've become a nation of people who are actually PROUD of doing it alone and pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps (what does that even mean?).  We are a people who consider a plea for help to be a confession of weakness, when in fact it is a statement of strength.

The truth is that everyone of us will face problems that are too big for us to handle alone.  A sickness, job loss, death of a loved one, unexpected catastrophe...these things happen to any of us.  If we've lived a life of self-sufficient inward thinking, we're likely not ready to ask for help.  Until we are ready to ask for help we are forced to rely on whatever strength and wisdom we have banked.

Ask for help, often and when the problems are smaller, too.   We don't ask God to take the cross from our back, we ask Christ for help to carry it. He said he would be here for us.  He told us in person.

Try this simple prayer.  "I can't, you can....you promised."  It's a confession of weakness that leads to strength.    "For when I am weak, then I am strong..."  2Colossians 12:10

Because it's true.  Alone we can't.  With Him we can, and He Promised.

I can't.  You can.  You promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment